Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Scones



I do enjoy scones with my tea. They range from sweet to savory, but I prefer mine with a mild sweetness. I like for the clotted cream or jam to be the star. I  do admit that I haven’t tired too many savory scones. I always wanted to make scones with goat cheese and even cut out a recipe or two for them, but never tired. (I fear no one else would like them, and I would have to eat them all myself!)




Recently, I made scones apple-walnut-cinnamon scones that I cut out from the September/October 20012 issue from teatimemagazine. They are rather easy to make and everyone at the meet seemed to enjoy them. I’ll put the recipe down below with a link back to the site. Perhaps you’ll try your hand at them!





2 cups self-rising flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup cold salted butter
1 cup diced, peeled green apple
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/3 cup cinnamon baking chips
2/3 cup cold heavy whipping cream
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar


• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  
• In a medium bowl, combine flour and sugar, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add apple, walnuts, and cinnamon chips, stirring to combine. Set aside.   
• In a small bowl, combine cream, egg, and vanilla extract, whisking well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture comes together and forms a soft dough. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
• Using a levered 3-tablespoon scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle tops of scones with turbinado sugar. 
• Bake until light golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.