Sunday, June 22, 2014

Current Book Stack


So this is my current book stack. Most of the things here I bought on my trip to Denton.  As you can see it's a rather large stack. So I'll be busy this summer...


X 1999 vol 3 & 4 by  CLAMP.  - These two are the final ones I needed to have all of the X 1999 that CLAMP made. I plan on reading one of these a day to finish all the issues together.

Crimson Spell vol 1  by Ayano Yamane - I already read this one and it's rather nice. Art work is nice and a good plot.

Sleeping Moon vol 1 by Kano Miyamoto - Another one I already read. This had an interesting and unique plot. I highly recommend it! 




Kafka by Richie Robertson - I've been wanting to learn more about Kafka so this smaller volume seems like a good idea.

City at the End of Time by Greg Bear - I thought this book sounded really interesting. I don't read as much sci-fi as I used to so hopefully this is good.

Memories of a Victorian Cabinet Maker by James Hopkinson - The super fancy font caught my attention of this one. I do know a lot about the more upper society during the Victorian era so I should learn something new by reading this one.

...A quick note the many Proust books to follow. I read In Search of Lost Time during two summers, in college. When I finished the novel I actually wanted to reread the story, but at the same time I knew it would take awhile. So I bought a book about Proust, and now it's a tradition.

Proust the Later Years by  George D. Painter - A book about the later year of Proust. I'm lining my bedroom with cork now!

Marcel Proust by Georges Cattaui - Proust need friends, I guess...that's what it sounds like. (I can't find a link to this one)

The Oak in the Acron: On Remembrance of Things Past and on Teaching Proust, Who Will Never Learn by Howard Nemerov - I thought this one was interesting. It's twelve lectures about Marcel Proust and his life and books.


Proust and the Art of Love: The Aesthetics of sexuality in the Life, Times & Art of Marcel Proust by J.E. Rivers - This seems to deal with sex and sexuality in the times of Proust. 

The Proustian Community by Seth L. Wolitz - Proust and the people around him. (This one has that awesome old book smell!)

Proust and his World by William Sansom - This one seems to be about Proust and the world around him, the opera and such. It has many photos so should be a fund read. 

I am the Cat by Soseki Natsume - A near 500 page volume of a story told by the view point of a cat. I liked Natsume's other work so this, hopefully, is just as good. I admit this was much large than I thought it would be. 

The Sound of the Mountain by Yasunari Kawabata - Kawabata is my favorite Japanese's writers. So I'm excited to read this one among the Proust ones. 

Second Sight... by Cheryl B. Klein - At the DFW Writer's Conference in May one of the panels referenced this book. 

Empire of the Sun by J.G. Ballard - I watched the movie several times, so I figured the book must be better. 

-----

Ah so there's my large stack of books for the summer...I'm still not sure where I'm going to start, but it'll probably be about Proust